Friday, February 24, 2012

Friday, February 24: Harriett Gill

You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name. John 15:16

Without the vine (Jesus) I cannot live. Attached to the vine I not only live, but I can bear fruit. That fruit will not only sustain me, but will somehow refresh and sustain others. It is difficult, indeed painful, to think this analogy through. None of us wish to see others thrown into the fire. When I am abiding in Jesus I will not ask for frivolous things, but for the strength to keep going. For ways to communicate the love and joy of abiding in the Lord to others…that would seem to be the bearing of fruit. This does not mean that life will be easy. Jesus says "as the Father has loved me, so I will love you." Jesus, loved by the Father, hung on a cross and died a dreadful, painful death. He rose again on the third day. God did not leave him and He does not leave us when we sometimes live through pain, rejection and the difficulties of life.

The branches on the vine bear fruit and wonderful, life giving wine is produced. Thanks be to God!

Harriett Gill

No comments:

Post a Comment