Monday, July 6, 2015

A Letter of Reclaimed Independence




Letter of Reclaimed Independence

Tom, CFH Outreach Case Manager

I arrived in Bellevue from Portland in 2004, a stay at home dad with two young sons.  We instantly fell in love with the parks in this city.  Robinswood was one of our favorites with its huge play structure, athletic fields, duck pond and trails.  I could never have imagined that I would one day live in this park as a homeless man.

 In 2008, after many years of untreated addiction, I moved out of my home and began a downward financial slide that would end in unemployment and homelessness.  By 2012, I had suffered a divorce and congestive heart failure.  I was on the streets, living in my car.

I parked my car at Robinswood, mostly.  I watched the soccer games from the bleachers.  I tried to blend in.  Fear and hopelessness set in very quickly.  The Bellevue Police would cruise through the lot every now and then, and my blood pressure would soar.  My alcoholic heart was failing, and I was exhausted day and night.  I washed myself in the bathrooms before anyone else showed up at the park.

I desperately clung to my two sons.  We went to the park and played and ate lunch together purchased with food stamps.  The library became our living room.   After I lost my car, I slept in the parks during the day so no one would know I was homeless.  I felt disenfranchised...alien, even. 

On October 2, 2012, I entered the CFH Year Round Shelter.  Unexpectedly, I was welcomed by other residents immediately.  The warmth of the sheer humanity of the whole thing surrounded me.   The food was delicious.  There was laughter and conversation.  The loneliness shed away almost instantly.  I was home.

 I have since moved on to housing, and I am blessed to be a social services professional working for CFH.  Now, my children play in the parks, and they do homework at the library.  I am happy to be a part of the community.







No comments:

Post a Comment