Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Handshake


My dad says you can judge a lot about a man by his handshake. Last night, I found handshakes say a lot about a church as well.

I am not a St. Thomas parishioner. In fact, I’m a Presbyterian. Until last night, I had never been to an Episcopal service. The occasion was Martha Karen Haig’s Ordination, which, if you missed it, was lovely. I don’t know Karen from childhood. I’m not part of her family or a classmate. For those who don’t know me, I am Mikaela Cowles. I work on the campaign for the new Life Center and was blessed Karen invited me.

Originally I thought the new Life Center was just an interesting idea. When I interviewed people from Alcoholics Anonymous, I really started buying in. One Monday night I stood in the old Parish Hall next to men and women battling addiction. I laughed with them as a toddler escaped from the small nursery and pushed open the kitchen door. Golden curls bouncing, he giggled and ran to his father. I was even more excited about the project when I learned how St. Thomas houses homeless men, giving them warm meals and a sense of humanity, and I was impressed when I discovered the parish feeds 800 families at Thanksgiving.

Last night I felt the church’s handshake. I felt its peace. Strangers reached across pews and looked me in the eye. “Peace,” they said, “peace be with you.” I stood, reluctant to sit, shaking hand after hand around me. Parishioners left their pews to embrace one another. I watched as they lingered, returning to their seats slowly. The new Life Center will magnify this peace, the peace of Christ.

The new Life Center is going to be beautiful – built to last. But its strength is not in bricks and mortar. It is in the parishioners. It is in the handshake which says, “No matter who you are, Christ loves you. Welcome home.”

- Mikaela Cowles

2 comments:

  1. Mikaela,

    I am very glad you were able to attend Karen's Ordination. Please come visit us some Sunday too.

    Peace,

    Bob Simeone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mikeala, We are so grateful for your ministry here!

    ReplyDelete