Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Letter from Sunni Bannon


Hello Lex, Karen and Charles,

I have very much enjoyed the 5:15 contemplative Eucharist service -- thank you all so much for making it happen. I wanted to share what I’ve enjoyed most and found particularly meaningful:
  • Having nothing to hold - I like not having an order of worship or program in my hand. It allows me to be in the moment and not be distracted by what is coming up. Also, I am free to sing or chant or respond as I am moved to instead of following along on paper.
  • The beautiful, simple chants and songs - I have been to 4 or 5 of evening services in the last two months and I'm surprised at how often the sweet words and tunes of the songs have come to mind and offered me comfort, strength or encouragement in the days following.
  • The moments of quiet and meditation - In my spiritual life, nothing has been as profound as quiet moments when I am able to directly connect with God. Lex and Karen have offered thoughts to ponder, but at this service, the brevity of the sermons has allowed for extended reflective time that is not available in a more traditional service.
  • Refreshing the day's gospel reading - I've heard mention of attending the 5:15 service when one doesn't attend a morning service, but I have really enjoyed re-hearing the gospel reading and having a contemplative experience with it in addition to the morning reading and sermon. I've noticed that sometimes the translation at the 5:15 service varies from the morning service and I've liked the way that little change helps me hear the passage in a fresh way.
  • The intimate setting created by the simple table and candle. I also love the closeness I feel during the communion service. The incense is new for me, but it is growing on me.
The contemplative service is a jewel and I look forward to more people learning about it -- St. Thomas members/attendees as well as people who have not ever visited St. Thomas. My background, although Protestant, is not Episcopalian and my first experience with the Episcopal church (outside of a book) was attending the Compline service at St. Marks. I remember how welcome I felt and even though it was new to me, I loved soaking in the liturgy. I know the Contemplative service at St. Thomas is not quite the same, but it will be a balm for many people once they know about it. It has already been a great blessing to me and I appreciate each one of you and your vision and contribution.
Warm regards,
Sunni

No comments:

Post a Comment