Sunday, April 1, 2012

Sunday, April 1: Kelly Gregory

Mark 11:11. Then he entered Jerusalem and went into the temple; and when he had looked around at everything, as it was already late, he went out to Bethany with the twelve.

Who am I? I could not shake this resounding question.

I know the story of the Triumphal Entry well, Jesus and his disciples enter Jerusalem as crowds gather, laying their cloaks before Jesus, and shouting, “Hosanna! Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord! Blessed is the coming kingdom of our ancestor David! Hosanna in the highest heaven!” (Mark 11:9-10). I imagine a joyful and celebratory atmosphere. “Then he entered Jerusalem and went into the temple; and when he had looked around at everything, as it was already late, he went out to Bethany with the twelve.” (Mark 11:11). This is where the question comes crashing down, who am I? The noise has faded, the crowds have returned to their daily lives, and the twelve go out to Bethany with Jesus. Am I one of the disciples, faithfully following Jesus? Or am I in the crowd, celebrating the arrival before returning to the routines of life.

The disciples arrive and leave with Jesus; they have devoted themselves to following Him. They are there for the triumphal entry and stay for, what I imagine as, a long walk back to Bethany. The disciples are not simply by-standers for the glorious moments.

Then there is the crowd. What happens to them when Jesus leaves? Do they know it was Him? Why don’t they follow? The crowd celebrates when Jesus comes to them but does not follow Him when the celebration is over. As Father Lex has said, “Jesus wants followers, not admirers.”

I don’t want to be part of the crowd! I want to be with Jesus. I wish I could say I have always fallen into the disciple group, but it would not be the truth. There are days when I have melted into the crowd. I hope and pray that each day I will have the faith to recognize Christ in my life and the courage to follow anywhere He leads me.

Kelly Gregory

No comments:

Post a Comment