Saturday, March 31, 2012

Saturday, March 31: Judy Katri

Mark 10:46-52. Jesus said to him, “What do you want me to do for you?” The blind man said to him, “My teacher, let me see again.”

As a new grandmother, I am especially enjoying the days when I care for David, my one year old grandson. We both look forward to our walks in the park, where he squeals with delight and claps his hands as I push him on the swings. Before I buckle David into the stroller his pudgy little right arm juts out toward the magnolia trees in the front of our home. We have a ritual of examining their glossy, waxy leaves—then we embark on our journey. As we approach the park, we are greeted by friendly dogs, quacking ducks, and many birds gliding gracefully overhead. David loves animals! His chubby hands and feet wave with excitement, while he serves as my own young naturalist. It’s as if, through his baby babble, David is urging, “Look Grandma, Really Look and See!” Viewing the world through my grandson’s eyes is helping me to more fully recognize and appreciate the wonder and beauty of God’s creation.

In Mark’s gospel story a blind beggar named Bartimaeus, recognizes Jesus as the Messiah. He shouts, “Son of David….have mercy on me!” while the crowd tries to quiet him. The blind man faithfully persists. Jesus calls him forward. In the gospel’s translation by Eugene Peterson (The Message) the crowd responds to Bartimaeus saying, “It’s your lucky day! Get up. He is calling you!” When Jesus asks what he can do for the man he answers, “Teacher, I want to see”. Although this man is sightless he recognizes Jesus’ presence. Bartimaeus’ expectant faith allows the instant transformation of his vision and his soul, as he follows Jesus down the road.

This Lent will I be a seeker as in the examples of a sightless man or a tiny toddler? Will I recognize Jesus presence and in expectant faith allow him to open my eyes and my heart to his grace and wonders? Will I hear the message? “It’s your lucky day! Get up. He’s calling you to come!”

Judy Katri

No comments:

Post a Comment