Friday, March 23, 2012

Friday, March 23: Dick Rogers

1 Corinthians 13:1. If I speak in the tongues of mortals and of angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

For me, Love is the key concept in this scripture. It seems to me that Paul is describing what Love is for God and what God would have Love be for us as we relate to Him and to each other. It is the Love exemplified by His son, Jesus Christ. The challenge, for me, is how to embrace this love and be empowered by it consistently. It must be a choice, an attitude, not a feeling. It means consciously doing everything for God, as Brother Lawrence encourages us to do.

On my own, I cannot make this choice or hold this attitude consistently. Only with God’s help and His Grace is this possible. Prayer is essential: God without your help I can’t do this. Help me, God. Help me! A continuous subconscious prayer seems needed to me. Marcus Borg’s version of the Jesus prayer is an alternative that works for me.

Lord Jesus Christ, you are the light of the world, fill my mind with your peace and my heart with your Love.

This is a Lenten opportunity to choose to let go and let God transform me with His Love enabling me to become a consistent transmitter of his Love to all those around me including myself! Think how wonderful it would be if all of us through our consistent loving prayers and actions sowed the seeds of loving transformation in all our communities!

Dick Rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment