Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Tuesday, March 27: Mary Friedlander

Exodus 5:1-6:1. But the king of Egypt said to them, “Moses and Aaron, why are you taking the people away from their work? Get to your labors!”

Moses and Aaron heard the voice of God. Moses held conversations with God. Moses wanted to save his people. He listened to God and even argued with him. These Bible stories are so much a part of our understanding of the long story of God’s people, from long ago and, in the time of Jesus. We can hardly bear to hear the last words Jesus spoke to His Father.

When we pray or sit in silence, communicating in our own ways, we try to listen for the whisper of God’s will for us.

When I was a young widow, with four dearly loved children, I had a life-changing experience. I was in a small room in Ireland, with my elder daughter, asleep in the other bed. I had a dream, or a vision of Jesus, standing beside me. He was dressed in a white robe, with a rope around his waist. He asked me what I wanted. I said, “I want my children to be safe.” He replied: “Say, I place my loved ones in you care, and name them”. He took my hand and placed in into the rope at his side and said, “Walk with me”. I was suddenly very alert. I woke my daughter and asked her if she had seen or heard anything. She had not.

Every time I pray, I say those words, naming my children, and often a few other loved ones. I feel in my heart that I had an encounter with Jesus. I still think about walking with Him, my hand holding the rope. Perhaps we only dream, but our history encourages me to believe that we are still listening and speaking and walking with Jesus.

Mary Friedlander

No comments:

Post a Comment