Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Wednesday, March 28: Ann Osterberg

2 Corinthians 2:14-3:6. You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, to be known and read by all…written…on tablets of human hearts….from God, who has made us…to be ministers of a new covenant, not of letter but of spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

When I was a child, I believed that knowledge of God came from the letter of the law set forth in the Bible. The Bible called us to action. And, so, I marched on Washington, came back and stood up in church and spoke.

As I grew to be an adult, I suffered loss. I lost touch with God. I did not understand where faith came from. I did not understand how people could believe with certainty in what they could not see. And, so, I spent many years away from church.

Not until I reached the hardest, most impossible choices late in life did I find God. Not until I had the courage to acknowledge my hurt, face my fear and go forward in spite of uncertainty, did I find my faith. The only way forward was to trust that God would see me through. And, so, slowly, in my heart I came to honesty, courage and hope. Slowly, through the Spirit, I came to know and understand God.

Ann Osterberg

No comments:

Post a Comment