Sunday, March 18, 2012

Sunday, March 18: Laurie Fenkner

Ephesians 2:4-5. But God, who is rich in mercy, out of the great love with which he loved us even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved.

As I read this scripture, I was immediately drawn to the story of the slave trading seaman, who was renowned for his vulgar words and angry demeanor. The familiar story goes that in the midst of a terrible storm - he called out to God and then penned the words to the famous hymn “Amazing Grace”. As I often sang that Hymn, I marveled at the power of this man to not only recognize his anger, vulnerability but to fully release himself to God’s care. Interestingly, the story did not end there as I thought - In fact, it took him many more years of struggle until he finally turned his life over to God and eventually penned the words to the famous hymn.

We all share John Newton’s journey - It is difficult to surrender our all - and rely only only on grace and mercy. I’ll continue to find inspiration in his story and comfort in his words:

‘Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

Laurie Fenkner

No comments:

Post a Comment