Saturday, March 12, 2011

Saturday, March 12: Margaret Chorlton

"Come and see." - John 1:43-51

How many times a day do I hear, “Come and see”? It might be “come and see my Lego creation,” “come and see how clean my room is” (yeah, right!), “come and watch my pirouette.” It is usually the invitation of someone who wants to share their enthusiasm and joy. When a loved one is excited to share their experience, it’s hard not get caught up in the action. Or, as my kids put it: “Dude! Check it out!”

I talked to my kids about this passage, and as usual, they had an insightful perspective. We were talking about seeing something rather than just hearing about it. My 12-year-old, Stone, said, “Sometimes you have to see something to believe it, but sometimes you have to believe something to see it.” Or, put another way, once you believe in God, you see Him everywhere. Lent is a good time of looking inward, reflecting on who we are and who we want to be. I think this Lent I’ll be asking myself this question: am I believing what I see, or seeing what I believe?
- Margaret Chorlton

1 comment:

  1. wisdom from the mouth of babes (or kids)...that is beautiful. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete