Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tuesday, March 22: Katherine Williams

What wrong did your ancestors find in me that they went far from me, and went after worthless things, and became worthless themselves? - Jeremiah 2:1-13

It is so easy to put things before God … and when we do it, we really do it in a big way. That book, that DVD, that piece of jewelry, those tickets to the opera or baseball games, ballet, or symphony! They usually come first.

It really can be so simple: we could try to do without some of these “must-haves.” I have been trying it, and every time I decided I didn’t need this or that, I felt good about it and I began to wonder about what I could with it, to the Glory of God. Each time I was drawn to think about God and the Church.

It isn’t all about the “golden calf.” It is about our ability to sidestep God in so many ways, missing so many of God’s gifts. During Lent we might decide to do without something we consider a favorite thing. And in the space that has been created, look for God’s presence in your life.
—Katherine B. Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment