Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tuesday, March 15: Sunni Bannon

"In the temple he found people selling cattle, sheep, and doves, and the money changers seated at their tables. Making a whip of cords, he drove all of them out of the temple." - John 2:13-22

When I picture Jesus, the image that first comes to mind is not one of him clearing out the temple with an angry whip. He looks more like “Hippie Jesus.” You know the one – long hair, white robe, surrounded by children, sharing stories of love and peace with a gentle smile.

However, the Gospels show us a Christ who was complex, counter-cultural, unpredictable and, at times, explosive. How do I meld this Jesus with the one who brought sight to the blind with his touch, ate with the outcasts, and put his hands on the unclean and made them well?

The truth is that there are times I am like those who sought healing from Jesus and there are times that I am more like those who got an earful from Jesus. He had tough words for people who took pride in attending temple regularly, studying scripture and following the rules. He rebuked those who made reputation and financial success their top priority.

When I look honestly at myself, I know I’ve stumbled with the same. My focus is not on making a profit, exchanging currency in the Great Hall, but I often lose sight of my own heart as a temple. I focus on church obligations and commitments and forget to foster of a spirit of charity. I establish roles and expectations for myself (and others) that clutter my ability to receive and follow God’s will. I forget that Jesus called the temple a “house of prayer” and allow myself to be overcome and distracted by my worries, my children and my to-do list.

Thankfully, I can allow today’s scripture to remind me to let the One who created the universe be in command.

Almighty God, I invite you into my heart to do some temple clearing. Chase out the concerns, pour out my need for control, and tip over the lure of possessions, Lord. Create a sacred space inside me so I can receive the healing touch of Christ the Savior. Amen.

—Sunni Bannon

No comments:

Post a Comment