Friday, April 18, 2014

Friday, April 18 - Good Friday: Zonnie Breckinridge

John 18:1-19:42. When Jesus had received the wine, he said, “It is finished.”

As I write this, my mother in law is at the very end of her life. She is quite frail and has the gaunt look of a body nearing the time of death. It has been hard to watch her deteriorate so rapidly, especially as she was quite vigorous all of her life. Yet, every time I am at her bedside, she reaches up her wrinkled, yet beautiful hands, grabs my face, pulls me close to her, kisses me and whispers to me that she loves me. She speaks very little, but when she does, it is almost always about how much she loves us. 

So, when I read this passage about Jesus anticipating the end of his life, the words “it is finished” came to me as words of love. As Jesus accepts that his physical body is dying, his letting go of “this life” makes room for the only thing that matters in the end, union with the one true love that is God.
—Zonnie Breckinridge


No comments:

Post a Comment