Saturday, April 5, 2014

Saturday, April 5: Tammy Waddell

1 Corinthians 13:1-13. If I speak in the tongues of mortals and angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

Speaking in tongues of mortals and angels is easy. If I just learn the vocabulary - the “right” words, the “spiritual” words, the words which I think people want to hear – yet there is no love in my heart to support these words, I might as well just be noise. It’s a distraction from the truth. Gongs and cymbals are both instruments, yet the sounds they produce feel abrasive to my ear. When I think about gongs and cymbals, I also think about them as “attention getters” rather than instruments which communicate feeling. If you are speaking from a place with love in your heart, it doesn’t need to be loud. You don’t need to get the attention of your audience first. When one speaks with love in their heart, it is a louder sound than any gong or cymbal could ever be.
—Tammy Waddell

No comments:

Post a Comment