Monday, March 31, 2014

Monday, March 31: Suzie Franson

Mark 7:24-37. But she answered him, “Sir, even the dogs under the table eat the children’s crumbs.”

During Lent we strive to place ourselves before the Light and allow it to illumine our dark places for refinement and renewal. This requires a real trust - a deep sense of safety and belovedness. For, from whom are we more likely to be able to receive criticism: a superior, cold colleague, for instance, or an old trusted friend? So, are we safe enough and beloved enough in God to allow Him to place us in the refining fire this season and always?

Today’s text is not one I would usually associate with such a lesson. I have long struggled with it and was somewhat dismayed to receive it from the Lord as my Lenten text. If He gave it to me then He also had a teaching for it, so I prayed. And that very evening I saw my answer - in the Song of Solomon of all places.

In my Bible study work on the Song we were reminded that God will, at times, hide His face from obedient believers to draw out the yearning of their heart toward Him in greater ways. In the verse before our text, Jesus turns His face from the woman: what I have is not for you. He was pulling back to allow her to show herself, and Him, the depth of her love and faith. And she, obedient, truly seeking Him, pursues Him: I will strive for You, even if I only get the scraps.

Jesus marveled at her (Song 6:5). Her faithful response delighted Him (Zeph 3:17). He said to her, “O woman, how great is your faith.” (Matthew’s telling of the same story 15:28) Our faithful pursuit is a gift to Jesus, He delights in our love; we are beautiful and beloved to Him. (Song 1:15; John 15:9)

So if we are beautiful and beloved, if He delights in us and marvels at us, then we must be safe enough to receive the truth about ourselves without condemnation. It is the paradox of grace: when we know how much he beholds us in love, we will see the dark places and it will lead us to confession and new life. “Dark I am, yet lovely.” (Song 1:5)
—Suzie Franson

No comments:

Post a Comment