Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Wednesday, March 12: Anne Katri

Mark 1:35. In the morning, while it was still very dark, He got up and went out to a deserted place, and there He prayed.”

In Mark 1:35, we are reminded by Jesus’ actions to make time to connect with God and pray alone. Jesus does so faithfully, even after the Sabbath day, when He has already worshiped and performed healing miracles very publicly in the community. He finds time to pray early in the morning, alone. He is focused on giving thanks to God by prayer; He is not scared of the darkness, or fearful of the demons thought to be “lurking” in the wilderness. 

For me, morning prayer often takes place during early morning runs around Green Lake park. Rising in the dark experiencing God’s natural beauty around me, this is a time when I am able to pray for concerns or fears I have and also pray to give thanks for the many things that are going right in my life and for those around me. With every step on the frosty gravel as I circle the lake, I feel God’s closeness and spirit. By the time my run is complete, the sun is up, shining brightly on the lake and providing light and hope for the coming day. 

 “Lord, run by my side. Live in my heartbeat. Give me strength in my steps. As the cold whirls around me, as the wind pushes me, I know You surround me. As the sun warms me, as the rain cleanses me, I know You are with me, challenging me and loving me. And so I give you this run. Thank you, God, for matching my stride and blessing me with this day ahead. Amen.” (Adapted from A Runner’s Prayer).

— Anne Katri

No comments:

Post a Comment