Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Wednesday, March 26: Tucker Moodey

Psalm 81:16. I would feed you with the finest of the wheat, and with honey from the rock I would satisfy you. 

“We can do this the easy way, or we can do it the hard way.” I couldn’t dislodge this well-worn gangster pulp fiction line when I read Psalm 81. God presents what appears to be a simple choice. “Listen and obey me, and when you open your mouth I will fill it.” Easy way. “Give over to the stubbornness of your heart to follow your own devices...” Hard way. As a Christian, I immediately leap to the choice of “easy way” with all of the benefits God promises. But when I honestly reflect on my actions, I choose to live much of my life the “hard way”. Why do I inhabit this gray space between black and white that diminishes my experience of God’s promise. How can I more faithfully listen and obey?

Having spent some days reflecting on this question, I’ve noticed a few of the ways I undermine my choice of God’s easy way.
  • Distraction: The other night when we sat down to our family dinner, the Olympics were on TV. As we sang our familiar blessing, eyes on Bob Costas, it occurred to me how insincere and distracted our thanks must have sounded to God. I started thinking about how often my experience of life’s moments are fragmented by competing messages, thoughts, worries, and soundtracks. During Lent, I will try to quell the noise so I can speak with more sincerity, and listen for God’s voice in the voices of those around me.
  • Control: For someone who chooses God’s way, I spend a remarkable amount of time making sure even the little things turn out the right way, used interchangeably here with my way. The justifications flow – so it goes well, so I’m successful, so I won’t worry, so you’ll be happy, so I can be on time, etc. During Lent, I will make an effort to pry my white knuckles from the wheel, and see where God takes me. This one will be a challenge.
  • Spiritual Laziness: Raised Episcopalian, I find myself coasting in faith without pushing myself to engage, explore, and learn. I “feel spiritual”, but how little I read the Bible! How seldom I risk peering into my soul during prayer! During Lent, I will put more structure into my daily spiritual time, reading the lectionary in the morning, and reflecting at days end. 
Dear God, please reveal in me the humility to listen and obey, that I may taste honey from the rock. Amen.
—Tucker Moodey

No comments:

Post a Comment