Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sunday, March 9 - The First Sunday in Lent: Harriett Gill

Psalm 32:5. Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not conceal my guilt. I said I will confess my transgressions to the Lord. Then you forgave me the guilt of my sin.

Receiving forgiveness for wrongdoing is a humbling and yet, freeing thing. We need to emphasize that our sins are forgiven when we admit to them, and proclaim our regrets and sorrow for committing them. When we do this, it is as though a heavy burden – the burden of guilt - has been taken from us. If we do not admit our guilt, it can affect not only our mental and spiritual health, but also our physical wellbeing. The amazing thing is what we are able to learn about forgiveness. When we can truly, with God’s help, forgive one who has caused anguish or harm, the simple act of forgiving and handing the problem to the Lord seems to make the burden of pain vanish. Sometime it seems too slowly, but it does go away. This happens even when the one who has caused the pain does not care whether or not we forgive him or her. When one thinks on this, it causes a sort of comic relief! When I was a small child I learned a chorus that went like this :


I’m so happy and here is the reason why/Jesus took my burden all away. 
Once my heart was heavy with a load of sin, /Jesus took my burden, I have peace within.

That peace within is a wonderful, priceless thing. It is there for all of us . There is joy in being forgiven and joy in our forgiving the ones who have injured us. When we truly forgive the one who has caused our pain, that forgiveness takes away the burden of our pain. We tend to make things difficult, but God’s Love is wonderfully easy.


— Harriett Gill

No comments:

Post a Comment