Saturday, February 28, 2015

Saturday, February 28: Jennifer Eichenberger

Deuteronomy 11:18. You shall put these words of mine in your heart and soul.

When I read this passage, I think about how we learn and try to imagine how to put the laws that Moses spoke of in my heart and soul. It feels much easier to write them down and commit them to memory. I bet that repeating the words and spending time trying to learn them “by heart” might actually help us to internalize them and start to believe in them. Words and advice may make perfect sense to think about but I am not sure the heart learns by memorizing laws. We can teach our children obedience by commanding a certain behavior or conditioning them but I have found with my own children that they learn better if they really understand why we make the choices we do. I think the heart learns from a real deep connection to our emotions and experiences. We often need to experience the law in action through our relationships with others to really understand it and believe it in our heart and soul.

This verse also goes on to talk about writing the words on doorposts and gates at home and wearing them on your hands and forehead. When I apply this to our modern day life, I imagine a handmade sign of the commandments written in a cool modern font hanging in a home or seeing someone with a verse or cross tattoo or wearing symbols in jewelry. All of these are visual reminders to ourselves and the rest of the world that our belief in the laws is important to us. But the hope is that those words and signs are more than words and laws for us, they have traveled from the head to the heart, once we know them “by heart,” we live them out daily and teach our children by example.

                                                                                                            —Jennifer Eichenberger

No comments:

Post a Comment