Sunday, February 22, 2015

Sunday, February 22: Arne Hendrickson

Psalm 25:6. Remember me according to your love.

I have never been faced with as many challenges in life as I have now…and never have I had as much faith in the Lord. My problems are plentiful, but when I think of them, I reflect on how my Lord Jesus Christ is there with me. He is there by my side as I face the challenges of life. And I know that he has always been with me, even when I didn’t know (as a younger man) to think of Him. Today, there are challenges that never seem to get smaller or less complex… family communication breakdowns, career failures, and health issues (for me and those I love): but I know that I am not alone. I know that nothing will defeat me as long as I have my faith in Jesus. I also know that my blessings are plentiful, too. I am forever thankful for the many positive things in my life.

We think of Lent as a time of self-examination and as a time when we sacrifice so that we become closer to God. In this Psalm, David explores his relationship with God. He lays himself bare and implores the Lord to “guide me in your truth.” Later he confides, “May integrity and uprightness protect me, because my hope is in you.” Yes, we can live a good and honest life and still face challenges. And, this should come as no surprise to those of us in the later seasons of life; there is no direct correlation between being “good” and being “problem free.” In fact, we should expect life to be a burden. My view is that we should embrace these challenges that affect us all, just as David did. And, we should embrace God as our Lord and Savior, just as David did.

“Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.”   

—Arne Hendrickson

No comments:

Post a Comment