Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Wednesday, February 25: Katie Akesson

Hebrews 3:14. For we have become partners of Christ, if only we hold our first confidence firm to the end.

This passage inspires me with encouragement and hope. It speaks of relationships and working with one another. It is, for me, what church is all about; a community. It is being there for one another. It is a sense of belonging and acceptance. It is the joy and excitement of being apart of something special and the sense of responsibility that holds us accountable to one another. It is the commitment we all take for each other in baptism and the commitment we make to our spouse in marriage. It is the commitment we give to our kids; to raise them in a loving, caring, responsible environment. These commitments, of course, are supported and encouraged by God. One of the parts of church that I value most is the people. It is what drew me to St. Thomas and what helps me worship.

When I ask the kids what their favorite part of church is they of course answer “the food.” But they also love to tell stories of the people that talked with them and friends they played with and the activities they have done. The fact that they have stories to tell lets me know they are a part of the community.

In the light of Lent, the opportunity we all have to do or not do something in order to draw closer to God, the sense of community and support that this passage alludes to, reminds me that I am not alone. When faced with a problem and difficult situation I have a community of people there to support me. My intent this Lenten season is to reflect on those relationships: I want to notice and appreciate how other people in my life encourage and support me and also be more aware and work on how I can be a support and encouragement to others.

  —Katie Akesson

No comments:

Post a Comment