Sunday, February 17, 2013

Friday, February 15: Greg Murray



John 1:35-42. He brought Simon* to Jesus, who looked at him and said, ‘You are Simon son of John. You are to be called Cephas’ (which is translated Peter).

This passage has many things to comment about, but for me the last verse, and in particular, the last sentence of the verse is the most profound.

In this simple gesture of bestowing a name on Simon, Jesus makes him his own. He extends his unconditional love and grace through the simple act of naming him. We all want a name, and we all want to be known and loved. No matter the time or the circumstance, Jesus is there softly calling us by name and telling us he love us and wants us for his own.

Often times in the chaos and “busyness” of my life, I have a hard time hearing Jesus naming me and calling me to be his own. And when I stop listening it is easy for me to feel alone, overwhelmed and unloved. So when I slow down, breath and listen, I hear it! Jesus calling me by name and telling me he loves me despite my unwillingness to hear him, my doubts and my humanness.

The beauty and power of Christ’s love is that it is always there. Jesus is always calling us – naming us as his own! It is my prayer in this Lenten season that you will take time to listen to Jesus calling your name and let his unconditional love and grace comfort and strengthen you!

   Greg Murray

No comments:

Post a Comment