Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Wednesday, February 27: Brian Gregory


Jeremiah 3:6-18. Return, faithless Israel, says the Lord. I will not look on you in anger, for I am merciful, says the Lord; I will not be angry forever.

There are some parts of Scripture I wish we didn’t have to deal with – they make me uncomfortable. This passage from Jeremiah is one of them. In vivid allegory, the relationship between God and God’s people is described as that of a husband and wife. And God is angry with God’s unfaithful wife. On the surface, I am uncomfortable with outbursts of anger from God. It seems to contradict a God who, as the book of Numbers puts it, is “slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion” (Num. 14:18). But the longer I reflect on this passage, the more I realize that I am most uncomfortable because it points out my own unfaithfulness. What lover doesn’t experience immense sadness and anger when their beloved betrays them? In the harshness of this passage and the difficult language of verses 6-11, it is easy to miss the language of love and redemption that stands at the center. It is easy to miss the point.

When we recognize our unfaithfulness and failure to return God’s love, all God wants is for us to “return.” Come home. Stop wandering. Live in God’s mercy. Embrace your calling as God’s beloved. God’s anger when we turn away is evidence of how deeply we are truly loved. And God will take us back again, and again, and again. Lent is an invitation to examine the deepest parts ourselves. It is an invitation to acknowledge the places in our lives and in our communities where we have not lived as God’s beloved. It is an opportunity to return, to come home, and to embrace the relationship with God that we were created for. Let us listen to the voice of God as it calls us into redemption and healing.

            — Brian Gregory

No comments:

Post a Comment