Sunday, February 17, 2013

Sunday, February 17 - The First Sunday in Lent: Ann Osterberg


Deuteronomy 26:1-11. “...the Lord heard our voice and saw our affliction... and he brought us into this place and gave us this land...[and you] shall celebrate...the bounty that the Lord your God has given to you...”

I have moved a number of times in my life. Many of these moves were occasioned by loss and for many years I felt abandoned by God. This passage from Deuteronomy suggests another way to understand my life: that God heard my voice and brought me to a new place where I was able to establish a new house, to heal and to grow. And, now, knowing that God walked beside me through my most recent losses and changes, I will celebrate God’s gift of new life. I will let go of disappointment, I will listen, I will be open and I will share my voice in words, notes and song.

As Barbara Brown Taylor said, “Together we can hear our calls...if only we will listen for the still, small voice that continues to speak to us in the language of our lives.”          
   Ann Osterberg

No comments:

Post a Comment