Monday, March 30, 2015

Monday, March 30: Rev. Kathryn Ballinger, Deacon

Isaiah 42:1. “Here is my servant, whom I uphold.”

From an early age, I knew or rather felt called to live a useful, and hopefully, altruistic life. I could have chosen to become an airline stewardess and satisfy my desire for adventure and travel and to see the world. I could have chosen to be an interior designer to express my creative sense and love of all things beautiful in architecture, color and design. But I wanted my life to have meaning and I wanted to serve others. Thus I chose nursing as my vocation with every intent of joining the Peace Corps and going to Africa. Then later that lead into counseling and spiritual direction. This is how I identify with this passage of scripture.

The prophet Deutero-Isaiah speaks to the exiles still recovering from the trauma of the Babylonian invasion. So how does a prophet speak to a people who feel God has deserted them? Not an easy task. The prophet uses some very creative imagery to help the people live in the midst of their terrible chaos. He speaks of God as a mighty warrior who will deliver them as well as a shepherd who carries the little lambs on his bosom.

In Isaiah, we first encounter the image of the suffering servant of God. One who is described as a bruised reed and a dimly burning wick. Because God’s spirit works through him, the servant will not be broken or quenched.

The servant is an example of power in vulnerability. It is power that does not scream or shout or use brutal force. It is life-giving power that is far reaching and bears much fruit. Much later the Gospel writers point to these passages and to Jesus as their fulfillment.

The world today still finds itself in chaos and despair, no more than bruised reeds and dimly burning wicks. All seems fractured and cracked, but that is where the light of God comes in. His grace and power works where we are most broken, weak and fragile. This extraordinary power belongs to God alone and is not from us. When we open to this power in our own vulnerability, we find we can make a difference in the lives of those around us. This power grows out of compassion and concern for the needs of others. Through God’s power of compassion and mercy we can make a difference and God himself will uphold us.                       

— The Rev. Kathryn Ballinger, Deacon

No comments:

Post a Comment