Monday, March 9, 2015

Monday, March 9: Suzie Franson

John 7:16-17. Then Jesus answered them, “My teaching is not mine but the one who sent me. Anyone who resolves to do the will of God will know whether the teaching is from God or whether I am speaking on my own.”

Obedience leads to discernment which builds trust. In John 7 the people were marveling that Jesus knew so much, when he was obviously not formally educated, and the leaders were questioning his authority, since he had not been trained by a rabbi. Jesus responds that his authority and his teaching come from the Lord. Just previously (John 6) Jesus referred to the following prophetic verse: “All your sons will be taught by the Lord, and great will be your children’s peace.” (Isaiah 54:13) So this teaching directly by the Lord is not just reserved for Jesus but is available to all of us.

There is a direct connection between our “follow-ship” and what God can reveal to us. Jesus says we will gain discernment of truth through our obedience to what we already know to be true. I have found in my own life that each act of obedience to what God has placed in front of me has led to a clearer sense of his voice, a greater ability to see him at work, a deeper trust. I have also found that at each decision point I have wished for more clarity, better discernment, a clearer voice before acting. “If only I could be sure it is you, Lord.” Yet it is exactly this stepping out in faith that teaches us.

But don’t miss the promise in the Isaiah verse: “and great will be your children’s peace.” Getting caught in this virtuous cycle of obedience leading to discernment leading to greater obedience leading to deeper discernment, this “teaching by the Lord,” brings us to peace. It builds trust, and deep trust is the source of peace. 

—Suzie Franson

No comments:

Post a Comment