Sunday, March 15, 2015

Sunday, March 15: Joanne DelBene

John 3:16. For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may no perish but may have eternal life.

This very familiar verse from the Gospel of John takes on richer meaning when I pause prayerfully and consider it in depth. For much of my life I felt overwhelmed by the power of these words: For God so loved the world. I wanted to grasp and understand that love, experience that love. I would catch glimpses: looking in the eyes of my newborn child, watching a sunset, skiing down a snow-covered mountain. Over the years God’s love has become increasingly more present to me. I am not sure how that happened. It seemed like I was just living my life and paying attention.

Marcus Borg in The Heart of Christianity brought clarification to that question when he defined spirituality as “becoming conscious of and intentional about a deepening relationship with God. …we are already in a relationship with God…spirituality is about becoming aware of a relationship that already exists.” Richard Rohr in his Daily Meditation on February 3 put it this way: “So God planted a little bit of God in you (Romans 5:5) … . We call it the Indwelling Holy Spirit, and it’s the part of us that just keeps yearning for God.” And to think that is what my paying attention was all about!

All of this was done and is being done in community with others who are on their own journey and inform my journey as I do theirs. Now, when overwhelmed by the power of the words, For God so loved the world, I can say yes to:

You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength….You shall love your neighbor as yourself. (Mark 12:30-31)

  —Joanne DelBene

No comments:

Post a Comment