Monday, March 25, 2013

Monday, March 25 - MONDAY IN HOLY WEEK: Tim Blok


Isaiah 42:1-9. I am the Lord, I have called you in righteousness, I have taken you by the hand and kept you; I have given you as a covenant to the people, a light to the nations, to open the eyes that are blind, to bring the prisoners from the dungeon, from the prison those who sit in darkness.

“I have taken you by the hand and kept you.” I want to tattoo that odd-shaped little word on my arm: kept. I want to claim it for myself. Preserved like a bottle of wine, maintained like a house on the coast, guided like a child at a crosswalk, carried like a pebble in a pocket, stashed safely away like a treasure. Kept. A beautiful thought.

Beautiful, but difficult to accept. I find myself crippled at my own hand. I have built walls of guilt and shame so high between myself and God’s love that I feel I’ll never be able to accept it. I am scared and confused. I despair that I will never feel anything but scared and confused. I am in rough shape, and hardly seem worth keeping, worth even the slightest glance from God.

It would be nice to think that someday I will be a light to the nations. That someday I will open the eyes that are blind, rescue prisoners from darkness, feel secure in my calling to righteousness. On rare days this feels like a reasonable hope for the future, but mostly I roll my eyes at the futility of the whole operation.

But here comes Lent again, and like it or not, I’m going to make another pass at it. This year I would like it to wash over me. I would like to understand deeply that Jesus came to save me from myself, from my blindness, from my prison of doubt. That he did this because I am unable to go it alone.

So I will try and walk this Lenten journey. I will try to surrender, and recognize that God is holding my hand. I will try and allow myself to be kept. It is, after all, an excellent place to be. Safe in God’s pocket, precious in his sight, subject to his divine maintenance. I need to let God do the work, instead of trying in vain to do it for him. And maybe, instead of listening, finally I will hear. Maybe my eye will be opened. Maybe I will be brought out from my darkness.   

— Tim Blok

No comments:

Post a Comment