Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Tuesday, March 5: Stephanie Curry


Psalm 78:1-39. He established a decree in Jacob, and appointed a law in Israel, which he commanded our ancestors to teach to their children; that the next generation might know them, the children yet unborn, and rise up and tell them to their children, so that they should set their hope in God, and not forget the works of God.

Who are your Faith Ancestors? Who passed The Story to you? Who taught you to set your hope in God?

Each of us has a unique story and faith journey. Some among us are cradle Episcopalians. Some, like me, have a mixed heritage from a variety of Christian denominations. Some, raised in other faith traditions, are exploring Christianity among us. And some in our midst, with little or no faith background, are searching and learning The Jesus Story.

No matter our background or our place in the journey, most of us can remember the first person that shared The Christian Story with us. Some learned about Jesus and the traditions of the Church from parents and grandparents, one generation passing the story to the next so their children would “set their hope in God and not forget the works of God.” Others of us (me included) learned His Story from clergy, teachers, and friends.

My parents were not religious. My father never attended church; my mother rarely. They had five kids in six years. Mom found it convenient to drop us kids off at a nearby church on Sunday mornings so she could do her weekly grocery shopping without five little ones in tow. There, at that little neighborhood church, a gray-haired, grandmotherly Sunday school teacher told me the Story of Jesus when I was five and my life-long journey of faith began. Despite the lack of spiritual training in my childhood home, God amply supplied my needs through a long list of Faith Ancestors, some with skin and some found only in the pages of books. Then when I became a mother, I passed The Story on to my three children. When they were little, I wrapped them in my arms each night, read the Stories of Jesus then sang them to sleep with the old hymns of the faith.

As we journey through this Lenten season together, let us remember that God is calling us into His Story and wants us to pass The Story to future generations. Let us be thankful for our personal and collective Faith Ancestors. Let us gather our little ones into our arms and sing God’s Story and love to them. Let us fulfill our congregational vows to pray for the newly baptized in our midst and assist them in their spiritual journey. Let us personally and collectively set our hope in God. And pass it on.                  

    Stephanie Curry

No comments:

Post a Comment