Sunday, March 24, 2013

Sunday, March 24 - THE SUNDAY OF THE PASSION: PALM SUNDAY: Aileen Loranger


Philippians 2:5-11. Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus, who though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God … but emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, born in human likeness. And being found in human form, he humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death-even death on a cross.

My study beckons me with its chronic clutter and disarray. As I stand at the threshold and look around, I see a room that reflects passions in Christian theology and ministry, pastoral counseling, health promotion. It’s also the room in our home where everything gets thrown, whenever we are straightening up for guests. The room is easy to ignore; it sits at an angle that is not evident as you enter our home. It’s door bears a sign that reads, “If my room was clean, I’d be somebody else.” In short, it’s a mess!

Within these walls, I have come to understand this chaos as a sign of a life lived fully, ardently poured out in loving Christian service. Yet, as I prepare for Lent and God’s invitation to draw nearer, I hear this room whisper, “Empty me! Simplify! Create a right space within, so that you are receptive to the path of the Spirit and what God desires. ” How can I listen attentively and heed God if my mind is so cluttered with other things? How can I empty myself of what enslaves me (“the tyranny of the urgent”) in order to live more humbly as God intends?

Only when we can create inner space in the midst of our demanding lives, can we be responsive to God’s call to each of us, individually and corporately. Christ actively modeled humility, servanthood, and compassion for all humanity, to help us understand God’s desires for us in the world. This is the same mind that was in Christ Jesus. This becomes our Lenten journey: to clear the path towards an uncluttered appreciation of Christ’s obedient sacrifice for us on the cross and to carefully listen for God’s direction. Amen.
           
— Aileen MacLaren Loranger

No comments:

Post a Comment