Thursday, March 28, 2013

Thursday, March 28 - MAUNDY THURSDAY: Gretchen Breunig


John 13:1-17, 31b-35. And during supper Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going to God, got up from the table, took off his outer robe, and tied a towel around himself. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet…

My aunt lived alone. Strong willed and independent, she traveled extensively. A few nights before she planned to depart for Alaska, she had a severe stroke to the left side of her brain.
After the stroke, my aunt was unable to speak. The right side of her body was paralyzed. She had to relearn how to do everything: eat, sit, and stand. Yet she persisted. She labored to learn how to write left handed, relearned the alphabet, and worked tirelessly to write a brief card to each of us on our birthdays. She worked hard to regain control of her feet and her hands.

As I would enter the room, her smile of recognition and gratitude warmed my heart and gave me the hope for our next conversation. While Pat lived two and a half years after the stroke, we were never clear exactly what she knew and understood about our conversations and her daily existence.

After several invasive infections and repeated hospitalizations, we could see in her eyes: she had had enough.

My sister, my daughter, my mom, my nephew, and I spent our last visit with Pat singing camp songs. I knew that the hands that had helped me tie my shoes, and model how to trim a rosebush, now just liked to be cupped in my hands. She listened to the songs, but the smile was gone. “Please let me go,” her eyes seemed to say.

Similarly, one day I know that the little backs and feet and hands that I clothed and bathed will become my support. Modeling the ability to listen, to forgive, to be forgiven, and to love unconditionally are the critical skills I have attempted to share with our kids. They are also the skills I hope to model at the threshold of death. With Pat, we thought that her greatest life skills came in the living. But I admired her ability to know when death was near and be receptive to the ways we each chose to accompany her to the threshold. My sister and I chose to close with these old familiar songs we had shared on hiking trails, as if she were always carrying the tune with us in our heads and hearts. Maybe these same hiking songs will carry my sister and me to the threshold surrounded by our children and nieces. I know I will love them to the end. I pray that God gives the strength to know how and when to open my heart to Holy Spirit.     

— Gretchen Breunig

No comments:

Post a Comment