Thursday, March 14, 2013

Thursday, March 14: Zonnie Breckinridge



Romans 8:12-27. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God.

As I was praying this morning, I recalled my first invitation to write a Lenten reflection for another parish several years ago. I don’t remember the Scripture passage. What I do recall is that my reflection began with “Life is suffering.” That is where I was at the time, mired in the struggles of my ordinary life and not feeling much hope that things would change.

In looking back over the years since, I now see that I was experiencing the very condition that Paul is describing in this passage, as we “groan inwardly while we wait for adoption.” What I found almost impossible to do was to hope for what I could not see and wait for it with patience (definitely not my long suit). Today, with the help of my beloved family and my church community through those years, I know that my sufferings and those of all creation are not worth “comparing with the Glory about to be revealed to us.”

While in this life suffering will always be with us, with prayer we surely can come to comprehend that the Spirit will help us in our weakness and intercede on our behalf “with sighs too deep for words.”

I don’t have to pray perfectly or always do the “right thing” (whatever that is). I just need to let go and allow myself to be led by the Spirit of God. Then, I will come to know that I am a child of God and with Christ and all of creation, an heir to God’s glory. Amen.     

   Zonnie Breckinridge

No comments:

Post a Comment